A lot of pictures on this site were hosted on Photobucket before they disabled photo embedding. If you'd like to see pictures for a particular post, please let me know, and I'll prioritize getting those images fixed next!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Nose for Lincoln

I'm doing an Abraham Lincoln makeup, and I decided I wanted to play with gelatin for it, mainly because I'm doing all of the molding and casting in a dorm room, so de-ammoniating foam latex was out of the question.  Also, it's cheap and reusable-- pretty hard to beat.

Plaster bandages used for some quick and dirty lifecasting. nose, chin, and cheeks.  The chin is a form on which I will build a beard that will fit my face.  I was going to use the cheek casts to make some enlarged cheekbones, but due to time constraints and the fact that this is for theatre, those will simply be drawn on with highlight and shadow.

Casting the plaster positives

Plaster positives.

The sculpt. Chavant NSP soft.

Silicone mold.  Because I had the putty left over from the werewolf makeup in the Fall, and I figured it would reduce the risk of undercut problems, I went ahead and used it for this.  Cool stuff, but it took a while to get the hang of the casting process in a flexible mold.

Plaster bandages as a mother mold.

The gelatin nose.  I'm using a one part Knox gelatin, two parts glycerin, two parts water formula with some creme makeup mixed in.  Lots of trial and error to get the color right.  This is about as close as its going to get for this project, but I'd like to increase the translucency in the future.  It'll get some final coloring when it goes on my face.  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Inspiring... Knox, glycerin and H2O. So even if you can't use it for the stage, you could eat it. :-) Excellent, and I look forward to the final make up!