It's been a while since we last saw dear Vincent, so let's have a little update, shall we?
As before, each photo represents another session of sculpting (more or less). I apologize for the size of the pictures.
I realize that the difference between each of these photos doesn't seem huge, but what was actually happening was that, in between each photo here, I'd see something that felt off, and completely change an area of his face to adjust it, then adjust the rest of the face to agree with the new altered area. The likeness would completely disappear in those stages, and then I'd snap a picture when it started coming back.
What? That doesn't look like sculpting! Actually, I got a little 3D printer to help with some of the more precision parts of my various projects, and the first order of business was making some properly sized eyeball placeholders for this sculpture. The wooden balls that were there before were just a hair too small. Well, a few hairs. The old ones were 24.5mm, and the new ones are 26mm. It makes a huge difference on a face, though.
So then we had a little...surgery.
It's been a great mystery to me throughout this process how Vincent's face can be so structured from some angles, and so full from others. Keeping a variety of shots around makes it easier to keep track, but making forms that satisfy all angles of the reference is really tricky.
And that bring us up to date. That last shot was about 2am last night. I realized I had been handling his cheeks all wrong, and it took bringing out the lifecast of a similarly aged actor I had worked with to figure it out. Now we're getting somewhere...I hope!