A lot of pictures on this site were hosted on Photobucket before they disabled photo embedding. If you'd like to see pictures for a particular post, please let me know, and I'll prioritize getting those images fixed next!

Monday, July 7, 2014

Making A Crystal Ball for Sybil, part 1

You may remember my Sybil the Clairvoyant effect from last year...

At the time, I displayed her in a gutted Gemmy Spirit Ball (if you want to see a young Mr. Chicken disassembling it, check out this:http://www.freewebs.com/skeletonhand...spiritball.htm)

I figured it's time to personalize it. The plan is to fabricate, mold, and cast a custom base for a larger 16" globe. Here we go!

I did some research into antique hardware for some ideas, and was really attracted to this winged lion motif I found. I sketched out a bunch of designs one day, and settled on this:



And then it was a matter of sketching out the deigns full size.


This guy will replace the flowery design in the sketch


See, I only want to sculpt each of the little critters once, so I'll be molding and casting duplicates to stick around the base.

I laid warm clay over the outlines, and carved it into shape as it cooled


Quick and dirty molds were made in LifeForm silicone (because it is platinum based and therefore will not interfere with the later platinum silicone, and also because it is very quick setting, but mainly because I had it handy)


Now I could spread melted clay into those molds to make duplicates, and stick them onto the base, which I'm forming out of foam core


Those little beads are from the scrapbooking section of the craft store. THey come on a sheet of sticker paper. Super nifty.

Once I put it all together, though, I realized it was going to be much too tall like this.


So now I'm reworking it to be more like this



Next up is finishing off the sculpture and molding it. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment